Staff and members of the Toronto Mechanics’ Institute, at Church and Adelaide (Evening Telegram, September 8, 1908). In the 1800s, working men paid an annual subscription to a Mechanics’ Institute to read books, mainly on technical subjects. This one eventually became the Toronto Public Library. We pin it in honour of Ontario Public Library week.
Identifier: X 71-3
Rights: Public domain
Courtesy: Toronto Public Library.
More information: (view details and larger image)
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/rN3JXR