Reference Number: 13000676
The Sheldon Museum of Art houses the collections from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Art collection begun in 1929, and the Sheldon Art Association collection founded in 1888. The Sheldon Art Association collection began as the Haydon Art Club named for Benjamin Robert Haydon, a British painter. The club organized annual art exhibitions around Lincoln with the goal f bringing in works from a variety of artists from across the country. The group also provided funds to support art education at he university. The club was reorganized and incorporated in the early 1900s as the Nebraska Art Association. These collections focus on American art of the 19th and 20th centuries with nearly 12,000 holdings. Also associated with the museum is a sculpture garden located on the south side of the building.
via Flickr https://flic.kr/p/Rd8b6m